Thursday, August 31, 2006

MURDER-CAR!

The nation is 49 years old.

I’m just regretful that with every 31st August that comes by, I still can’t seem to genuinely grasp the significance of the country’s independence.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m no less patriotic than the flag-waving guy who runs around in Stadium Negara during badminton matches involving our team.

I would not hesitate to fight for my country.
I would not think twice to die for it.

I would be the first to self-draft if ever war breaks out with any of the neighbouring countries. The army may not need an old geezer like me but I’ll have them and everyone else know - I do not need a reason to kick a Singaporean/Thai/Indonesian/Filipino’s arse.

I am very proud of my country but even so can’t bring myself to affix a flag onto my car. Much as I am partial to watching how the flag flutters when a car zips through the road, I just can’t see the Jalur Gemilang as my car accessory. Not yet.

My indifference towards the spirit of independence may be discomforting to some, but I presume it is understandable for those who did not experience the struggle.

I know that the historic event signalled the end of British colonial rule.

I know that it was the coming into being of an independent, sovereign and democratic Federation of Malaya.

Emblemic images of Tunku’s raised hand with shouts of “Murder-Car! Murder-Car! Murder-Car!” marking the great occasion, are my only momentous reminder of the birth of a new nation.

I pray that by this time next year, I can finally say that in addition to my immense sense of pride and allegiance to the country, I would also be able to sincerely embody the essence of self-government, befitting of Malaysia’s 50th birthday.
JEKYLL

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why would you want to kick singapore's ass? we provide jobs for so many malaysians and scholarships to countless malaysians. I'll never understand why you would feel animosity towards singapore.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:55:00 pm  
Blogger Lily G said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, September 04, 2006 1:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jekyll,

I thought I achieved independence once I finished my SPM but no.Then I thought maybe after I did my degree but again no. Then maybe after I start working but a big no.

Freedom/independence is a myth.We are never free.We think we are free but we are not.

In the case of our country's independence;now that I have been exposed to wider readings,it saddens me that the impression given to the people that only certain people from a certain party fight for our Merdeka.At least in our time,there were some mention about these other people.

Wahhhh!Macam baguss jer aku ni :P


Rgds,

Monday, September 04, 2006 10:11:00 am  
Blogger JekyllHyde said...

anon,
BITE ME!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:32:00 pm  
Blogger JekyllHyde said...

lily,
you can colonise me anytime :P

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:34:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got mail.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 7:31:00 pm  
Blogger JekyllHyde said...

kna,
bro..lu mmg baguss la!!!

KERANAMU MALAYSIA!!

Wa caya lu! :P

Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:19:00 pm  
Blogger JekyllHyde said...

kesum darling,
LOVE yr mail!!

CALL ME!

Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home